Before becoming an IFATC member, all candidates are required to complete a written and a practical exam before controlling on the Expert server. Here below, are some important tips that is crucial to focus on to make it to the Expert server:
- Be familiar with the ATC Manual – The written exam will test you over the materials that are included in the ATC manual. Therefore, becoming familiar with the items covered in the manual is essential. You can check out the ATC manual here here.
- Use other available resources – Various resources are provided by both the Infinite Flight staff and community. I highly suggest checking out the ATC tutorials on Infinite Flight’s Youtube channel. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6vvTq2yxuk&list=PLPK_42U0EhIfsC6cU503Zwda4Zcur nPSt) Besides, you can do the practice test (https://www.classmarker.com/online-test/start/?quiz=fv35e9f54db5e5d1)to see the areas that are suggested to focus on. (Keep in mind that you can only take the practice test 2 times) Lastly, take look at the community-based tutorials on the forum at the #atc category.
- Use paper and a pen – It’s very critical to understand the scenarios that are written in the test. Sometimes, it can get difficult to visualize scenarios in your head, which can confuse you at times. That’s why it’s recommended to have a piece of paper and a pen to draw the scenario down, so you can much easier visualize the scenarios.
- Read carefully! – I can’t emphasize how important it is to read the questions carefully! I have seen way too many mistakes where people do not read the questions carefully because they can confuse a question which resulted in them getting the questions wrong. Just take your time reading the questions, do not rush it.
- Don’t get nervous – This is actually a very important thing to understand because some people when they take the test, tend to get nervous. As a result, they may get stressed and mess up some questions. As mentioned before, do not rush it. Just relax and take your time to understand the questions because the last thing you want to do is failing the test.
- Plan out – It’s undoubtedly important to plan out for what questions or scenario that can be thrown at you. Therefore, preparing for those obstacles is a great way to get greater scores in both the written or practical exam. Try to imagine questions or a scenario so you can have an idea of what to do.
- Open an ATC tracking thread – ATC tracking threads are an amazing way to let the community members help you through your IFATC journey. Community members can show up and provide feedback, helping the controller strengthen their skills.
These are my personal recommendations before taking the written and practical exam. I hope this can help you to have better preparation If you have any questions regarding ATC, I recommend looking through the ATC category on the Infinite Flight Community forum.