Coming in the Infinite Flight v20.2 update will be a feature many may not notice but one that needs to have your attention because it is incredibly useful. You now have more options on how to import flight plans into Infinite Flight, including the ability to import Garmin .fpl files directly into the app.
This option to import will only be made available to those on iOS, in this first iteration, but Android users will be able to export flight plans. There are various websites and services that create the compatible Garmin .fpl file type including ForeFlight, SkyVector, and many more.
You’ve seen in a recent work-in-progress video how easy it is to import a flight plan from ForeFlight, but maybe you are one of many who can’t afford ForeFlight. Here’s how you can do this using skyvector.com, for free.
- Create a flight plan on skyvector.com
- After finishing the flight plan, click the share icon
- Download Garmin .fpl file
- Spawn in to the airport ready to go
- Share the .fpl file you downloaded
- Either choose to “Open in Infinite Flight” or you can AirDrop the file to your separate device running Infinite Flight
- The flight plan will then automatically be imported into the app
Simple as that. It makes flying so much more enjoyable and takes all the hassle out of flight planning in Infinite Flight if you rely on third party flight planning tools. Currently v20.2 is in open beta so you can give this a go now to test it out. I’ve been using it on almost all of my recent flights since using the feature, you have to give it a go.